Now available: the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, completely packed with new features, the Pocket 6K camera comes with a Super 35 size sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range and dual native ISO up to 25,600 for HDR images and spectacular low light performance.
External controls give quick access to essential functions, while the large 5 inch touchscreen makes it easy to frame shots, focus accurately and change camera settings. Features include built in SD/UHS‑II or CFast 2.0 recorders for Blackmagic RAW or ProRes recording as well as a USB‑C expansion port for recording externally to disks, plus EF lens mount, built-in microphones, XLR input, full sized HDMI, 3D LUT support, Bluetooth and more.
Featuring a larger 6144 x 3456 Super 35 sensor and EF lens mount, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K lets you use larger EF photographic lenses to create cinematic images with shallower depth of field, allowing creative defocussed backgrounds and gorgeous bokeh effects. Extra resolution also gives you more room for reframing in editing and colour correction. This means that you can shoot in 6K and then in post production zoom and re‑frame to allow wide shots and close ups to be created, all from a single camera and without losing image quality.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera has the professional features needed for feature film, television programming and documentaries, however now these same features can be used to revolutionize other types of work such as blog videos, YouTube content and more. You get the same features found on expensive digital film cameras, allowing capture of deeper colours, higher image detail and a wider dynamic range between the brightest highlights and deepest shadows. It's the key reason why feature films look so amazing and now you can get these same high end production values for any kind of work. Imagine getting film quality on independent film, music videos, weddings, corporate videos, documentaries and more.
High Resolution Cinematic Digital Film Sensor
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K model has a native resolution of 6144 x 3456. Whether you’re shooting in bright sunlight or in almost no light at all, it features 13 stops of dynamic range and dual native ISO up to 25,600 for stunning low noise images in all lighting conditions. Plus the 6K model's larger Super 35 sensor allows shooting with a shallow depth of field and anamorphic lenses. You can shoot up to 60 fps in full resolution or 120 fps windowed.
Post Production Friendly File Formats
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera records using standard open file formats so you don’t have to waste time transcoding media. Files are compatible with all post production software so you can work with the software of your choice, or use the included DaVinci Resolve Studio. Recording works in industry standard 10‑bit Apple ProRes files in all formats up to 4K or 12‑bit Blackmagic RAW in all formats up to 6K. Blackmagic RAW is the fastest growing RAW format and developers can download and use the free Blackmagic RAW SDK to add support into their applications. Best of all media files work on all operating systems plus you can format media cards and disks in HFS+ for Mac and ExFAT for Windows.
Use Standard SD Cards, UHS‑II or CFast 2.0 Media
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera features built in CFast and SD UHS‑II card recorders, and a USB‑C expansion port for recording direct to an external media disk. You can use regular SD cards for HD or higher performance UHS‑II and CFast cards for native 4K or 6K when using Blackmagic RAW. Imagine capturing over an hour of full resolution 6K images on a single 256GB SD UHS‑II card. The ProRes and Blackmagic RAW files work with all video software. You can even mount the media cards on your computer and start editing directly from them using the included DaVinci Resolve Studio software.
The Quality of RAW and the Speed of Video
Blackmagic RAW is a revolutionary new format designed to capture and preserve the quality of the sensor data from your camera. Video formats such as H.264 are highly compressed, plus add noise and weird artifacts, causing original sensor detail to be lost forever. Blackmagic RAW eliminates this problem and gives you stunning images with incredible detail and colour throughout the production pipeline from camera to edit, colour and mastering. It also saves camera settings as metadata so you can set ISO, white balance and exposure in camera or override them later while editing, all without any loss of quality. Only Blackmagic RAW gives you the highest quality, smallest files and fastest performance.
Professional Connections for Custom Rigs
Though small and portable, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera features a wide range of connections for audio, monitoring, power and more. The camera includes a full size HDMI connector for monitoring with support for HDR and clean 10‑bit output. That means you can connect an HDMI display or television for on set monitoring of images, with or without overlays that show critical information and camera status. There’s also a mini XLR connection with 48 volt phantom power for attaching professional microphones, a 3.5 mm video camera style microphone input, headphone connection and a professional locking DC power connector. The USB‑C connection lets you connect and record direct to your media disk.
4 Built‑in Microphones and Professional Audio Inputs
With professional, high fidelity audio recording built in you'll never have to carry around a separate sound recorder again. Both Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera models feature a mini XLR input with 48 volts of phantom power for connecting professional microphones such as lapel mics and booms. The four built in microphones have an extremely low noise floor and are shock and wind resistant, allowing you to capture great sound in any location. There’s also a 3.5mm audio input for connecting video camera style microphones, along with a built in speaker for playback and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Load Custom 3D LUTs to Recreate Film Looks
Digital film cameras shoot logarithmic colourspace to preserve the dynamic range, which is great for later post production, however when these files are viewed on a monitor they can look flat and washed out. 3D LUTs solve this problem because they allow you to apply a "look" to the monitor so you get an idea of how the finished images will look like when editing. LUTs can be applied temporarily for monitoring only, or they can be recorded into the Blackmagic RAW files for use in post production. The Pocket Cinema Camera works with industry standard 17 and 33 point 3D LUT files, or you can work with the built in LUTs such as Extended Video, Film to Video, Film to Rec.2020 and more.
- Effective Sensor Size: 23.10mm x 12.99mm (Super 35)
- Lens Mount: Active EF mount
- Lens Control: Iris, focus and zoom on supported lenses
- Dynamic Range: 13 Stops
- Dual Native ISO: 400 and 3200
- Shooting Resolutions:
- 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps
- 6144 x 2560 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps
- 5744 x 3024 (5.7K 17:9) up to 60 fps
- 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI) up to 60 fps
- 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) up to 60 fps
- 3728 x 3104 (3.7K 6:5 anamorphic) up to 60 fps
- 2868 x 1512 (2.8K 17:9) up to 120 fps
- 1920 x 1080 (HD) up to 120 fps
- Frame Rates: Maximum sensor frame rate dependent on resolution and codec selected. Project frame rates of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 fps supported.
- Off-speed frame rates up to 60 fps in 6K 2.4:1, 120 fps in 2.8K 17:9 and 1080HD
- Focus: Auto focus available using compatible lenses
- Iris Control: Iris wheel and touchscreen slider for manual iris adjustment on electronically controllable lenses, iris button for instant auto iris settings on compatible lenses
- Screen Dimensions: 5” 1920 x 1080
- Screen Type: LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Metadata Support: Automatically populated lens data from electronic EF lenses. Automatic recording of camera settings and slate data such as project, scene number, take and special notes. A 3D LUT can also be embedded in metadata of Blackmagic RAW files
- Total Video Inputs: None
- Total Video Outputs: 1 x HDMI Type A
- Analog Audio Inputs:1 x mini XLR analog switchable between mic with phantom power support and line level (up to +14dBu). 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Input. Can also be used for Timecode input
- Analog Audio Outputs: 1 x 3.5mm headphone jack
- Computer Interface: USB Type-C for external drive recording and software updates
- Microphone: Integrated stereo microphone
- Built-In Speaker: 1 x mono speaker
- SD Video Standards None
- HD Video Standards 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60
- Ultra HD Video Standards 2160p23.98, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29.97, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59.94, 2160p60
- 4K DCI Standards 4KDCIp23.98, 4KDCIp24, 4KDCIp25, 4KDCIp29.97, 4KDCIp30, 4KDCIp50, 4KDCIp59.94, 4KDCIp60
- Media: 1 x CFast card slot, 1 x SD UHS‑II card slot, 1 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 expansion port for external media for Blackmagic RAW and ProRes Recording
- Media Format: Can format media to ExFAT (Windows/Mac) or HFS+ (Mac) file systems
- Supported Codecs
- Codecs Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 3:1, Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 5:1, Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 8:1, Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 12:1, Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q0, Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q5,ProRes 422 HQ QuickTime, ProRes 422 QuickTime, ProRes 422 LT QuickTime, ProRes 422 Proxy QuickTime
- Storage Type:
- 1 x CFast 2.0.
- 1 x SD UHS-II card.
- 1 x high speed USB-C expansion port for external media
- Power Supply: 1 x External 12V power supply
- External Power Input: 1 x 2‑pin locking connector
- Battery Type: Canon LP-E6
- Battery Life: Approximately 45 minutes (recording 6K RAW at 24 fps to CFast 2.0 with screen brightness at 50%)
- Power: 12V-20V